Thursday, September 16, 2010

Eggs, Bugs, and Beans


This post is inspired by an event my daughter hosted two days ago in her bedroom. I am kicking myself already for not getting pictures, but surely you will understand why. I was cleaning downstairs and Shaelana was watching a movie with a snack. While in another room, I heard her go upstairs, assumingly to play in her room like always. That was my first mistake...never assume anything with a toddler in the house...pure ignorance! After a few minutes up there, I heard her turn on the heater in her room so I immediately went up to turn it off and what I walked into was what resembled a chicken coop massacre.

She had managed to get an 18 count carton of eggs up the stairs, which still had 15 eggs in it and she EGGED her own room. Unbelievable. I was in a state of shock. There, in her freshly painted, newly decorated, brand new EVERYTHING pretty little room was 15 smashed eggs covering every surface but the ceiling. I didn't know whether to yell, laugh, cry or just walk away. The look on her face was priceless and I am certain mine reflected hers. A phone call to Brandon, a bath and a google search later I was off to conquer the mess. I learned that if you put salt on raw egg, it will absorb the goo and assist in cleaning it up so the pouring commensed! Almost 2 containers of salt, plenty of hot water, half a bottle of all purpose cleaner, 3 towels, 2 washcloths, ALOT of elbow grease and nearly an hour later - I managed to clean the mess. Wow.

I heard a great story that made me feel light hearted about the "event" that day. A medical scientist recently received a prestigious award and upon accepting it, he said he wanted to thank his Mom. He said his reason for thanking her all resorted back to one child hood memory when he had gone to the fridge, pulled out everything in it and spread a mess of things all over the floor. When his mother walked in and found the mess, her face went from looking like "she was going to eat me, to a smile". She then sat down in the floor with him, and they played and made designs in the messy kitchen floor. When he asked her why, later in life, she said it was because the mess had already been made, and had to be cleaned regardless, so why not take advantage of the moment and make a memory. And she did. While I didn't play in the egg mess with Shaelana, it did inspire me to try to look at all of the crazy moments differently and take the opportunity to see what positive things could come from it. In addition, my Mom reminded me that God uses many ways to teach us. In this instance, I feel that the lesson to be learned here is that it only takes a brief moment for something disasterous to happen. Possibly it was protection for us. In the time that it took her to have a little fun, a tragedy could happen. It makes me thankful, in an odd twist. I still wonder what inspired her to do that. Possibly her interest in cooking? Maybe a different form of art? Or possibly just found the crunching shell and slippery egg to be too much fun to stop at just one. No matter the cause, I decided that she needed a more acceptable creative outlet!

With that in mind, I took advantage of our surroundings and the next morning we spent some time exploring our own front yard. We discovered so many creatures and life forms and learned some fun things together.


A big slimy slug


Some mystery fruit budding on our tree in the front yard. I still can't figure out what it is...time will tell! I am excited for a fruit tree though!

Some big mushrooms near the hydrangeas

Some little tiny mushrooms near the steps

An earthworm. This guy was the most fun. Shaelana freaked OUT when I picked it up! She was screaming and covering her ears "I don't like the worm! I don't like the worm!" She warmed up to it enough to offer flowers and leaves for him to eat, but refused to touch it! So funny!

One of the many many species of spiders in our yard. On any given day, I promise you will see atleast 15 different types out there. As long as they stay off of us, we leave them alone.

A rolie polie! I loved these as a little girl. Shaelana didn't understand the fascination.

One of my 15 rose bushes in bloom. This one produces sweetheart roses, and I liked this bud.



Yesterday morning, for our daily project, we decided to do some low key crafts!


Her supplies.

Shaelana hard at work on her pretty picture.

The finished project! So fancy. Some of the noodles fell off when we moved it to take the picture. I am thinking liquid glue and flat noodles for the next one!

I have to say, though these little adventures are small, they are a wonderful part of our day. Best of all, Shaelana has been a better behaved child! Ofourse, I haven't replaced the eggs yet...so we will see if that lasts...

5 comments:

The Richards said...

Oh my gosh Tye good for you for keeping it together...i know i would have lost it really, and trying to get them to stay out of it while cleaning OMG! She is super cute though and i love all the nature pictures, i am in shock about you moving to Washington! We have talked about such moves before but just can't deal with the uncertainty of it all. Thanks for your comment on my blog, you are great!

Bell Family said...

Thanks Amber! I did make her stay out of the room to clean it, but I have to admit, I was terrified she would make another mess with something while I was cleaning the first.

Brandon and I are pretty spontaneous most of the time, so moving here was extremely exciting for me. The night we actually drove into Seattle, when we had finally arrived, Brandon has admitted it was very overwhelming for him. From the size of the city, the traffic, the uncertainty and the new responsibilites on him to provide for us from ground up without family near incase something happened...he was pretty quiet! LOL! He has responded wonderfully though and we are prospering from it. I have never been more content. :) Worst case scenario is if you guys try somewhere new, and don't like it, home is never too far away!

Allred's said...

Oh Tye, You are such a good mom, I would have completely lost it....or just sat down and cried for a while and then crawled out of the room, hoping my imaginary cleaning lady and nanny would show up....which they never do....dang them.

Bell Family said...

Amy you are too funny! Thank you. Believe me, I have my moments that I lose it too. More often than I should! Maybe I need to look into hiring an imaginary cleaning lady too, she would have been alot of help to have around that day! :0)

lofgreenlegacy said...

I love this story...And I love the other story about the guy and his mom. It really touched me. My New Year's Resolution (or actually my life style change) is to change that about me. Make a memory with everything that happens. Thanks for posting. So Cute!