Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Happy Birthday Baby!!!

This past Sunday, January 4th, was a huge milestone in our family. It was Shaelana's 1st birthday! For weeks I had been both anxious for the day, and dreading it. I am just in amazement that a year has already past, and how quickly she is growing up. Like so many mothers before me, I really wish I could just stop the clock at times. Unfortunately, I'm not that powerful, so we had to celebrate! I wanted it to be something memorable, so I made a big deal out of it. We decided to have a ladybug fiesta! For 2 solid days prior to the party, I shopped, cooked, prepared...with little sleep I might add for this event. I really wanted her cake to be something special, and not your typical grocery store bakery cake. So after a lot of research and skepticism of my own skills, I began my 8 1/2 hour journey towards what turned out to be a perfect accent for the day. Here she is in all her glory...

Shaelana's first birthday cake. Cherry chip cake, with cream cheese icing and marshmallow fondant.

Several pictures were taken.


Views from all angles

I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome! We decorated everything in red and black ofcourse, most of which was accomplished by Brandon and my sister Raderika, as I was still stuck in the kitchen. Brandon, and I were wearing red and black, and Shaelana was sporting a darling little lady bug outfit that was a gift from Aunt Raderika.




It was well worth it though. How can you have a true fiesta without a ton of mexican food?! Everything was home made and turned out really great. We had chicken enchiladas, chips and homemade salsa, hard tacos, soft tacos, beans, 7 layer bean dip, punch, and all the condiments you could think of to accompany it.

<


Lexie did her part to add to the party decor. She did all of this by herself, including hanging it up by the gift table! She did a great job!

My mom, brother in-law Jason, and my dad enjoying themselves.

Lexie having fun playing in my nephews room

Grandma Ruth (Brandon's mom) and the birthday girl

Time to open presents! She was well aquainted with tearing things open since we just had Christmas, so she was able to take care of it on her own, even though we had lots of little helpers on stand by.


Here she is with one of the toys that Papa Jim got her. She has a really big fascination with cars right now, and she LOVES ones that have lights and sounds. When this was opened, she was very distracted from continuing!

My little dolly so proud of herself. She was hamming it up for everyone in the room!!!

We also got a ladybug pinata and stuffed it full of candy. Let me tell you, this thing was ridiculously hard to crack open!!! All of the kids beat on it for a good 20 minutes, and finally the men intervened and decided to bust it open. It was really cute seeing all the babies take a whack at it though.

Shaelana gathering up some of the loot that landed her way.

Time to sing the birthday song! She was fascinated with the candle!

Getting her first bites of icing.

Loving this whole help yourself to some cake thing!

Mmmm. Really getting messy now!

At the end of the day, we had a very happy birthday girl. She was blessed with many many presents from educational, fun, useful, things to drive mom and dad batty, and darling. We truly enjoyed ourself and had a great day!
I am beyond proud of her and all of the wonderful elements that she brings to my life. Brandon and I have said many times how we really can't imagine what our life would be like now if we hadn't had her. She has an enormous personality and commands attention everywhere we go. She is our little star. Her intelligence far surpasses any expectations we might have had, her vocabulary is really extensive for her age. She LOVES to make us laugh, and believes she is the funniest person. She is our greatest source of entertainment, and while I do my best at teaching her many things in life, already she has taught me so many valuable things about life and about myself. I love her endlessly and I am truly so proud of her!!! Happy Birthday my little darling!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ty,
She is so precious!! And so pretty too!!Just like her mommy... Your a great mom to put on such a great party! Looks like it was a lot of fun. And they sure do grow up fast! She really is so beautiful! Take care.

Love ya-
Camille

Dmcguire25 said...

YEA!!! Happy Birthday Baby girl!!! Man I can not believe she is 1! That is crazy. It looked great, did you make that cake? That was amazing!!! I mean it was AMAZING! She looked so happy so well done job and nice accomplishment! We love you guys and hope you are all doing terrific!

Ashley said...

Wow, that is one great looking birthday party! She is adorable, and I can't believe you made that cake! You are amazing!

Deven and Britany Dicus said...

Great job on the cake, you need to go professional! She is so adorable, what a fun day!

Jason and Jennifer Bryce said...

Amazing cake. Too pretty to eat. Party hard or go home right?! Looked like a great time. Keaton wasn't so lucky for his birthday, he got a brownie with a match stuck in it. Well at least I'll remember it.

Luke & Erica said...

I just think she is absolutely adorable. It is crazy how quickly time flies. Before you know it she will be 8. My Andie turns 8 next month. I loved the cake and it looks like you guys had a great party. Thanks for all your well wishes with my grandpa's passing. Hopefully '09 will be better.

The Richards said...

Awesome cake and amazing party! I wish you could make my kiddos birthday cakes!!! Thank you for always commenting on my blog it makes me feel loved your awesome!

Allred's said...

Holy cow Ty, you seriously outdid yourself, but it looks like it was a blast and so much fun. Your cake is gorgeous, you have some mad skills my friend. I wish I would have been closer to eat all that yummy mex-food. It's my favorite and that looked so so so good. Way to through a rockin' party.

Deanne Wahl said...

That cake is amazing! You are so good to do that. You look beautiful and so proud. Time flies when the kids starting getting older. She really is adorable.

camilla said...

Oh my gosh! I am assuming you MADE that cake ? you are amazing and you should sell those bad boys! And her shirt matched? This post just got cuter and cuter! no lie!