Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Change of Heart

Well it has been over a month since I have blogged and I figured I better update a little before I let it all pass me by. I think after the whirlwind of the holidays and Shaelana's birthday all compressed into a few short weeks, I was looking forward to a much needed spread of "regular" life. LOL! It was nice to just relax.

In regards to the title of this post...some months ago, I blogged about an upcoming move to Colorado for our family. After giving it alot of thought, having many changes in our personal circumstances, and finally realizing the impact that our extended family has on our everyday life, Brandon and I have decided to just stay put for a little while. We continued having more and more uncertainty as to whether or not we were making the right choice to move, and feeling like we never reached a point of peace in the decision, and having that confirmation through prayer that we were searching for, we realized we aren't supposed to be somewhere else at this point in our life. When the two of us stopped resisting that fact, blessings started pouring in from the Lord as if to say "You are making the right choice!" It is so wonderful to have the peace that only comes from the Father. So our change of heart is to stay in Arizona until we are lead elsewhere by the Lord, if that time comes. We have been staying at Brandon's parents house for a couple of months now, during the change of our decisions, and today, we finally signed a lease for our new home! We couldn't be more excited! It is fitting for our family of four, and we are all thrilled to be able to spread back out into our own territory. Brandon's parents have been incredibly gracious to open their home to us, and tolerable of our unforeseen circumstances, and the very different stage of life that we are all in so we are very thankful they have helped us along the way. Our home is in Catalina, Arizona. It is on the outskirts of Tucson, and there is much more room to breathe in the neighborhoods here, with wonderful views of the mountains!

Brandon also got a new job at Tucson Medical Center in the business office, which he is loving thus far. He is happy there, and that is a big thing after being in a field for so long. It was a much needed position regarding the economical changes. When the impact really hit us in that area, we learned and grew quite a bit as adults, individually, as a couple, and as parents. I have always been a firm believer that everything happens for a reason, and once again, this remains the truth in this circumstance as well. We were able to step back, and take a close look at our financial situation and make changes that improved our status to allow us to live within our means and still be very happy with what we have. It feels SO wonderful to know that we are growing up!

We also had another wonderful closure to a long, treachorous journey with the child custody case for Lexie, our 6 year old daughter. That is now closed, and we share custody with her mother, allowing us to get Lexie regularly and every other holiday. It is so nice to have her back as a permanent part of our life, and being blessed to raise both of our daughters together. She has made the transition remarkably well, and I am so proud of how she has handled all of the changes. It is heart breaking that children have to endure some of these things because of errors that we make as adults, but I am blessed that God made them so resiliant and to love unconditionally. She and Shaelana thoroughly enjoy their time together too, which makes our family feel more complete!

On the downside of everything, Shaelana, Brandon and I have inherited the monsterous cold that is attacking the population lately. It is certainly no fun! I sound like a seal when I talk, supposing seals could actually talk! We are going through tissues like crazy and somewhat irritable, but with everyone hurting down to their toes what can we expect?

I have started a much needed, long put off, struggle to get back in shape. I am happy to report that, while I am still far from my actual goal, I have lost 16 pounds towards that and 8 inches overall. It is long overdue, and I finally just decided that I need to do this for my health and the longevity of my life for myself and my children. I haven't done anything but some good ol' fashioned exercise (I got a new treadmill!) and eating much healthier. I have to admit, I am a bit obsessive with counting calories, so it reflects back onto Brandon and the girls meals as well, so they have all been eating healthier too, like it or not! LOL! I'm happy with what I have done thus far, but really feel like I can improve my efforts, so I'll try to update here to keep me on track.

Lexie received her report card last Friday, and did exceptionally well in all of her classes. The only issue that we had to discuss with her, and really get her to work on is her "inappropriate socializing". Now, even though she is not my biological daughter, any that know me, KNOW very well that I wasn't exactly the quiet, shy type in school, so it was easy for me to relate to the poor doll. Her dad is just like me, so she lucked out in the aspect that we understood. We did tell her that there is a time and place though, and her education, and her friends education needed to come before her conversations. How many of you can relate to that? I mean, I know all of my friends on here were just as gabby as me back in the day!!!

Shaelana is a little pistol that is into EVERYTHING! She is walking and running everywhere. She dances and tries to sing. She has the biggest attitude EVER, and we are certain she has "little dog/man syndrom". Shaelana is really petite for her age, and she makes up for it in attitude and sound. She's a loud mouth, vibrant, and saucy as ever. She is certainly a handful, but we love every chubby inch of her. Right now her favorite word is no-no because she hears it constantly! We have been so blessed!

Unfortunately I don't have any related pictures to post. I kicked myself in the butt all last Friday because I actually packed my camera in my diaper bag, then left it in the car while Brandon, Shaelana and I joined Lexie for her Valentine's party. I went all out and made every kid and teacher awesome treat bags with a load of candy, school supplies, and toys. Brought Lexie a special balloon, and the whole class Valentine cookies. The kids were so fun, and adored having a baby in the class. After they got all hyped up on sugar (thanks to yours truly) they danced and Shaelana was out there with the big kids rockin it out. I was so mad for leaving my camera outside, but couldn't bare to miss a minute of the fun! Sometimes the memory is more important I suppose than a documented picture. That was my first experience as a Mom at school! I can't even imagine what it will be like when Shaelana starts kindergarten! I can wait though, I'm enjoying my baby while she still is one.

4 comments:

Dmcguire25 said...

Oh I am so amazed at how wonderful you are!!! You are such a great mom, wife and sister!!! I love to read your blogs because they are so uplifting, even about not great things, and a breath of fresh air! I am so thrilled you are staying here in the Valley, not that we see you that often, but it is nice to know you are only an hour away! I am so proud of Bam for getting a new job and you for kick butt and losing 16lbs!!! I need to take your lead and get going but with school, tj's work and the girls I am a little busy or at least that is my excuse! I am so happy that Lexie is back in your life! She needs you guys and the love and stability you bring. I miss you guys so much and hopefully we can hang out soon. We are off to Vegas Sunday but maybe the following weekend we can swing by and visit. I love you girl and give the princess and king a kiss from me and all of us to!

lofgreenlegacy said...

I am so happy for you guys! I loved reading this post of yours. I am sooo glad that you guys are staying in AZ and that you guys are finished with the whole custody battle. What a relief for you all. I can just picture Shaelana out there with the big kids having a blast. She probably didn't even realize that she was younger than them. I am so happy that Brandon has found a job that he loves. And I am so glad to hear of your answered prayers and continued Faith in the Lord. Reading your blog has helped tremendously. I too am so blessed in so many ways and I thank you for reminding me. Talk to you later. I love you girl-
P.S. I assume that I was one of the individuals that you were referring to as a gabber...LOL...O' but we did have much fun didn't we?

Jason and Jennifer Bryce said...

String cheese and hand made valentines rocked it at Carter's preschool party! Nice post! AZ is nicer in the winter anyway.

Ashley said...

I'm glad you listened to your heart; it's always the best choice.